Stressed out about the holidays? Laughter, it’s the best medicine! | Trobough Dental
December 9, 2019
A good sense of humor can’t eliminate all of your holiday stress, but there are many positive things laughter can do.
Laugh out loud – it does your body good!
When you laugh, it doesn’t just lighten your load mentally, it actually induces physical changes in your body.
- Stimulate many organs. Laughter enhances your intake of oxygen-rich air, stimulates your heart, lungs, and muscles, and increases the endorphins that are released by your brain.
- Activate and relieve your stress response. A rollicking laugh fires up and then cools down your stress response, and it can increase and then decrease your heart rate and blood pressure. The result? A good, relaxed feeling.
- Soothe tension. Laughter can also stimulate circulation and aid muscle relaxation, both of which can help reduce some of the physical symptoms of stress.
Over time, laughter may:
- Improve your immune system. Negative thoughts manifest into chemical reactions that can affect your body by bringing more stress into your system and decreasing your immunity. By contrast, positive thoughts can actually release neuropeptides that help fight stress and potentially more-serious illnesses.
- Relieve pain. Laughter may ease pain by causing the body to produce its own natural painkillers.
- Increase personal satisfaction. Laughter can also make it easier to cope with difficult situations. It also helps you connect with other people.
- Improve your mood. Many people experience depression, sometimes due to chronic illnesses. Laughter can help lessen your depression and anxiety and may make you feel happier.
Laughter is the best medicine
Go ahead and laugh! Turn the corners of your mouth up into a SMILE! How does laughter make you feel? Are your muscles a little less tense? Do you feel more relaxed or buoyant? Those are the natural effects laughter has on your body.
So remember, when you’re feeling stressed out about the holidays, or life in general, find some humor and LAUGH!
source: mayo clinic
Visit our summerlin Las Vegas dental office
Dentist Summerlin and Northwest Las Vegas, NV